Bubble Waffle filled with Matcha Green Tea
Looking for a fun summer holiday activity with the family? Experience a taste of adventure with this wonderfully authentic Hong Kong Street Food recipe for Bubble Waffles (Steps 1-4 courtesy of Food Blogger; Artisan Traveller). The outside stays crispy in texture whilst the bubbles are soft and chewy. With so much potential these delightful Bubble Waffles can be filled with your favourite Yee Kwan Ice Cream flavour (or flavours!) then topped with chopped fruit, sprinkles, chocolate… The possibilities are endless! Best served warm. Served in authentic paper cups. These waffles are available to try from Bing Soul on Dumbarton Road, Glasgow.
For two bubble waffles, you will need:
Ingredients for Waffle Batter:
- 120g Self-Raising Flour
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 2 Free-Range Eggs
- 50ml Evaporated Milk
- 2 tbsp Cornflour
- 1 tbsp Custard Powder
- 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for Topping:
- 2 generous scoops of Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream (check out the full flavour range)
- Whipped/ Squirty cream
- Small biscuit/ brownies pieces of your choice
- Chocolate Sauce for drizzling
- Any other toppings you desire- chopped nuts/ fruit (raspberries/ strawberries) works well at this stage
- Place all the ingredients for the batter together in a large jug or bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Preheat the waffle iron in accordance with manufacturers instructions. Grease with a little vegetable oil if necessary.
- Add a coating of batter to the centre of the waffle iron and then close the lid. Cook the waffles for 4 minutes, or until golden brown and easily gliding off the iron.
- Place a paper cone or napkin inside a glass or tumbler (this both helps support the waffle and catch any drips) Curve the waffle into the cone and allow to stand for a minute to cool slightly.
- Fill with the Matcha Green Tea, small amount of squirty cream and crumbled biscuit/brownie pieces. At this stage, also add any other choice of toppings- we have chosen peanuts to add texture. Drizzle with chocolate sauce to finish and enjoy.
- Alternatively: to shake things up and try something new- include a small amount of Matcha or Cocoa powder into your batter mix to change the colour and flavour.