225g Ground almonds 310g Icing sugar 125g Granulated sugar 6-7 Large egg whites 1/4tsp Fine sea salt 500ml Your favourite Yee Kwan Ice Cream
A few drops of food colouring (optional)
Fruity compote (optional)
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, using a 3” biscuit cutter, trace 12 circle onto the parchment and turn the sheet over.
- Mix together the ground almonds and the icing sugar.
- Whip the egg whites and salt in a large bowl until frothy. Keep mixing slowly and add the granulated sugar one teaspoon at a time and whip until shiny and holds in peaks.
- Using a spatula, fold in the almond mixture one third at a time until thoroughly combined. Add food colouring at your leisure.
- You will need a piping bag with a ¼ inch plain tip, fill the bag until half full. Hold bag upright and start piping spirals into the traced circles.
- Pre heat oven to 150°C
- Let the macaroons sit at room temperature for 30 minutes then bake for 18-20 minutes rotating halfway through. They should be risen slightly and look crisp on top.
- Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Freeze by placing into an airtight container and carefully putting into the freezer.
- Pop half of the frozen macaroons upside down, place a small scoop of ice cream on each and top with another macaroon. Gently press them together and store in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat.
Handle macaroons carefully as they are delicate and break easily