Reasons to drink (and eat) MATCHA
What is matcha you ask? Matcha is 100% natural, organic green tea leaves which have been carefully ground down to form a fine powder.
We like to think of matcha as a sort of superhero amongst teas, as it’s super-concentrated and packed full of the goodness we need to help keep us looking and feeling happy and healthy.
The tea leaves are grown under cover for the last two weeks of cultivation to produce lots of chlorophyll (the bright green good stuff). They are then dried and slowly ground between two granite rocks to a very fine powder. This is then packed immediately in a vacuum-sealed tin, to lock in all the nutrients.
Why should you swap your morning coffee for matcha?
1. Its packed full of antioxidants, it has 125 times more antioxidants than spinach!
2. Increases energy… Samurai, the noble warriors of medieval Japan, drank Matcha Green Tea before going into battle due to the tea’s energizing properties. While all green tea naturally contains caffeine, the energy boost received from Matcha can last up to 6 hours and comes without the usual side effects of caffeine…It’s good, clean energy.
3. Weight loss… Drinking Matcha Green Tea has been shown to increase metabolism and help the body burn fat about four times faster than average. Again, unlike many diet aides currently on the market, Matcha causes no negative side-effects such as increased heart rate and high blood pressure.
4. Detoxifying… Before tea leaves are harvested to be made into Matcha, Camellia sinensis are covered to deprive them of sunlight. This causes an increase in chlorophyll production in the new growth of these plants. The resulting high levels of chlorophyll in Matcha Green Tea not only gives the tea its beautiful vibrant green color but is also a powerful detoxifier capable of naturally removing heavy metals and chemical toxins from the body.
5. Brain Power… The L-Theanine in matcha is known to help stimulate alpha brain waves. These waves are known for their ability to help increase focus and concentration. In Japan it’s particularly popular among students who are cramming for exams.
6. High fibre…Matcha green tea leaves contain a high level of easily-absorbable dietary fibre. The benefits of dietary fibre include its ability to ease constipation and stabilize blood sugar levels.
You can reap all of these benefits from our matcha green tea ice cream which is featured in this comprehensive list of 18 Best Healthy Ice Creams.